Ooty is one of the most famous and preferred holiday destinations in the country. Also known as Udhagamandalam, it is a hill station in the state of Tamil Nadu. With flowers, parks, hills, and beautiful winding ways, there is no questioning the allure of the place. But, there is more to Ooty than the regular tourist places one always frequents.
In this post, let us take a look at four hidden gems of Ooty you cannot miss, no matter what.
- Fed by the Pykara River, this lake has a dam at the other end of it.
- An hour drive from Ooty, the roads are relatively clear and free, allowing you to relax and breathe in the scent of fresh grass.
- With very little human inhabitation, the lake is surrounded by mountains that mesmerize you with their grace.
- The good news is that boating facilities are available so that you can take a ride into the middle of the lake.
- As one of the quietest places, Pykara Lake tops the list of places to visit in Ooty.
- Do you know the Toda tribe lives in intricately designed houses they call dogles?
- Resembling an igloo made of grass, these houses are unique to their tribe, and the skill has been passed from one generation to another.
- You cannot help but fall in love with the beauty of the place and their interesting culture.
- Doddabetta Peak is one of the highest peaks in the Nilgiri Range standing tall at 2623 meters.
- The word Doddabetta means Big Mountain in the language of Badaga.
- It is just 10 K.M away from Ooty and is a special place for people who love trekking and hiking.
- The tourism department provides a telescope for travelers to enjoy the breathtaking panoramic view from the top of the hill.
- You cannot take your eyes off from a sight like that one.
- Located in Emerald Village, Emerald Lake is around 20 K.M away from Ooty. It is a part of the Silent Valley National Park in the Nilgiris District.
- A popular picnic spot for the locals, Emerald Lake has managed to keep the busy tourists away from its peaceful surroundings.
- If you are an avid bird lover, flora and fauna have a wide variety of birds flying and hopping around.
- Simply unwind with your favorite book, or try a hand at fishing.
- Worry not if you are an adventure enthusiast. You can go trekking or mountain-biking along the lake.
When you have added Emerald Lake to your list of places to visit in Ooty, why not add Avalanche Lake as well?
Situated close to Emerald Lake, this is a marvelous scenic location a nature lover cannot afford to miss. Nestled among the tall trees and rolling grasslands, the Avalanche Lake reflects the tranquility of the place.